~ Almond Milk Recipe ~



I cannot stand non-dairy milk. I've tried them all, I've WANTED to like them. I just don't.  The taste is either watery, odd, gritty or just plain gross.  I started a quest to find a recipe that I could make at home, of minimal ingredients so that I could tweak the taste until drinkable.  We took a trip to the local bookstore, grabbed about 50 pounds of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks, and found a comfy place to sit. In The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone, I found exactly what I was looking for.  A two ingredient almond milk: water and almonds.  Hooray!  Here's the recipe that I created~

1/2 cup RAW almonds
*cover these with water, in a bowl, and soak for 8 hours. Discard the water.

1/4 cup raw sugar
soaked almonds
4 cups clean water
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of sea salt

Once the almonds have soaked, I used my VitaMix to blend the ingredients until creamy.  Pour into a pitcher with a lid and refrigerate.  Drink within a few days, since there aren't any preservatives.  Trust me, since it smells like vanilla ice cream, that won't be a problem.

Want to read more nutrition facts about raw almonds?  Try here.