~ Journeys ~

Boarding the plane in Germany. Next stop Ethiopia!!!
I was given the opportunity to travel to Ethiopia with my sister this spring. After watching my brother in law and sister go through the adoption process for years, I was incredibly honored to take this journey with her. I've had a dream of visiting Africa in my heart for a LONG time. I always knew that I would go, it was just a matter of when and why. The why had arrived!
The gentleman in red will be in my story in a bit.
The plane from Frankfurt had quite a few empty seats. This equals an insane amount of food and wine heaped onto the few passengers. Delicious fish curry, gourmet pizza, bottomless glasses of red wine and after dinner apertifs are not something that this American associates with airline travel. The airline attendants were amazing. For a LONG flight, all of this was much appreciated.
This is a LONG flight.
Our nerves were a little on edge, just thinking about what we were doing and where we were going? Excited, nervous, anxious, happy, sad, my emotions were all over the place. The rest of our family was home, we were adding another sweet face to the group of people that we love. And I was going to be there to watch my sister become a mother!
The sun sets over the Sudan
I mentioned that my emotions were a bit of a mess, remember? Exhibit A: me. *clearing throat*. I moved around a bit, trying to find an empty window and got to see the amazing windblown deserts of Egypt. Then, the Sun began to set and it seemed to last forever. We were over the Sudan and the windows seemed to be on fire. It was intense and absolutely mesmerizing. I kept looking over my shoulder and the gentleman sitting near the window offered me his seat, so that I could get a better look. I've never seen the Sun set from the air and it was magical. After a while, tears started making their way down my face. I was watching the Sun set over Africa. Surreal. The gentleman came and sat next to me and wanted to talk about me, about Africa, about life. He was so lovely, and I will never forget his kindness and our conversation. Next stop, Ethiopia!!!!