The Cabin

My new Barbour Chase Wellington boots.
Happy birthday to me!
Braden in the kitchen 
A view of the living room/dining room from the front door. I
love our massive Tennessee flagstone fireplace. 
Silly boys in the kitchen. This is what happens when I
ask them to pose..... Ethan's birthday.
My favorite season is here. Autumn. The leaves are changing into all sorts of flaming hues. We celebrated two birthdays recently: mine and our middle son's. He turned 16. I turned a few more years older than that. :) We spent the day exploring the backroads near the cabin, hiking, rocking in a rocking chair, and drinking coffee, not necessarily in that order. It was glorious. Fashion is not something that I care about. I need jeans, tanks, tshirts, a pair of boots, and/or moccasins to be happy. Throw in a few sweaters and a few pieces of my jewelry, and I am thrilled beyond measure. Last year, I worn a pair of Toms Nepal boots every single day from October until summer hit. Hiking in the woods, mud, gravel roads, rain, they took a beating and still look decent. The key? Don't try to clean them until all of the gunk dries. Then, you can just brush pretty much anything off of them.
My Barbour Chase Wellingtons. 
This year, I decided that I wanted a pair of rubber boots and Barbour Chase Wellingtons are just plain sexy. (they are! for rubber boots...) The quilted texture adds something cool and they are actually quite comfortable. They were the perfect birthday gift and they'll be my cabin and town footwear for the upcoming months. I've already received strange looks for wearing them in nearly 80 degree weather in town, but you know what? I love them and that is that. :)
Hemlock foliage. Don't you just want to touch it?!
We had a mini forest of hemlocks planted in the wooded area in front of the cabin, to fill in some of the open space. I saw my first Eastern hemlock about a year ago and fell head over heels in love with the texture, color and wild shape of the tree. We needed some sort of evergreen to fill in the sparse areas near the cabin and I couldn't imagine any other trees in the space. A local tree farm, that we happened across when driving to get firewood for this winter, had absolutely lovely trees. When he offered to plant them, too, I jumped at the chance to have a handful of them added around our cabin. They are magnificent and make it look like a winter wonderland in front of our cabin. Something about evergreens just says 'cabin', 'winter' and 'christmas'. I adore them.
The area in front of our cabin, pre-hemlocks
Mr. Meeks, tree extraordinaire. He took maybe 10 minutes
of breaks in a 4 hour tree planting stint. The absolute
hardest worker, and one of the
nicest men I have ever talked to.
Hemlocks going in and the leaves starting to change 
My new hemlock forest. Love!


Happy Tuesday, sweet friends!